Tuesday 26 October 2010

Life should be a Sophie Kinsella novel

I've always been a fan of 'Chick-Lit' as my mum so eloquently puts it, but it wasn't until recently that I found myself plowing through these light-hearted, funny, romantic novels, like I can't get enough of them. There's something so satisfying in reading a fictional story about someone else's perfect life.

The characters are normally quite plump, drink copious amounts of wine and make erratic decisions that I normally wouldn't dream of. Somehow, it always works out for them though. They dramatically quit their job and without so much of a panic attack, find themselves set up in a cushy new job, where they happen to coincidentally meet their perfect man. Each and every book, whatever the storyline, follows the same pattern. There's always a few problems, a big secret that isn't revealed until the moment when it might ruin her chances with Mr. Right, but you always know that it's going to end up the same way. Happily ever after.

If life were a Sophie Kinsella (author of the brilliant Shopaholic series) novel, then right now I should be bouncing back from my 'problem' and embarking on a frisson with the gardner, or moody landlord. Somehow, I don't see this happening - particularly as our gardner is my brother and my landlord is my mother! - but that doesn't mean to say that I can't have my happy ending. I'll just have to look further afield! I'm guessing it won't be as easily accomplished however and may take more than 300 pages, but let's hope I get there in the end.

Life after love can't exactly be a Sophie Kinsella novel, but there's nothing to stop me from trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment