Tuesday 19 October 2010

It's all about the hips

My best friend and I decided to go crazy last night. We ventured out of our comfort zone and into unknown territory as we stepped through the doors of a Working Men's Social Club. The smell of must greeted our nostrils and we couldn't help but notice the peeling wallpaper and 1970s retro light fittings along the bar front. There were others there too, but none looking so nervous - they had alcohol, maybe that was the key.

As we watched more people turn up, we realised that without a doubt we were going to be the youngest there. Not so bad, but quite amusing when paired up later on with a short, round (but incredibly happy) gentleman in his mid-50s. We were made to rotate partners throughout the evening and I found myself wiggling my body alongside some very 'interesting' men, including Mr. Snake Hips. It took every ounce of my being to concentrate on my feet as he was very distracting!

It wasn't until I stood in front of the last gentleman who stared intently into my eyes, that I knew that this time was going to be perfect. He stood closer than the others and gently moved my hands around as we paced through our steps. 1, 2, 3..5, 6, 7...with him, I was Queen of the Salsa. As we moved our separate ways and I joined my next partner, I was relegated to more of a Princess role, but I knew my time with him would come again.

I wasn't sure how the evening would go, but I can honestly say that was one of the funnest things I've done in a while. Despite the age gaps, everyone was really friendly and both my friend and I agreed that we might actually make it a regular thing. Somehow, I don't forsee me meeting any potential new boyfriends there, but at least I'll know how to shake my hips when I do meet someone!

Life after love has been all about pushing boundaries and creating new experiences. I still relapse very occassionally, but hand on heart, I would never want to go back to life during love (at least, not with a certain you-know-who) as I've now got a pretty cool life. If I want to try something, then there's nothing to hold me back. Bring on the next challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment