Thursday 28 April 2011

Sex, Drugs and Sunbathing

I've just been flicking through a trashy magazine and seen Amsterdam advertised as a destination for a girly holiday. Had I not just returned from such a trip to the aforementioned place, then I would have been a little bit confused. Surely, Amsterdam's main appeal is the Red Light district, the legalisation of cannabis and the row upon row of bars that seem to line every single street? Stereotypically not very girly, but I suppose that's how much times have changed!

We have a friend who very thoughtfully moved to the Dam so that we could all go over and stay with him for a couple of days at a time. In return for our delightful company, he got the pleasure of showing us round and making sure we got on the right trams as we headed off to see the sites. Unfortunately he also had to work (let's face it, he needed a break!) so somehow the responsibility of 'mother' fell to me. I've got quite a good memory - take me anywhere once and I'll find my way back again - but it was interesting trying to find our way around a city where we don't speak the language and don't really have a clue as to where anything is. In London, the Eye, the Houses of Parliament, even Buckingham Palace stand out as landmarks, but in our case, Anne Frank's house and the Zoo, blended in somewhat. Everyone speaks English as well as Dutch, but there's something about not being too touristy and inept when you're on holiday. Eventually we got the hang of it and I'm still pretty impressed that despite drinking an unmentionable amount of alcohol, I managed to get us back to our hotel without so much as a wrong-turn!

It was great to have an insiders view into the city. We visited bars and restaurants that were down the back streets and not so touristy. I've never met so many friendly barmen in my life! Maybe it's the old English trick of matching your outlook with the weather, but they could certainly learn something from these guys. We also took a wander (how could you not?!) through Amsterdam's notorious Red Light district. I don't know what I'd imagined, but it was so much more. There seemed to be loads of tiny alleyways lined with shop windows and doors with half-naked women posing in them. The look of boredom and the amount that were playing with their phones was quite amusing! I don't normally, but being where we were, we also had a slice of space cake. I honestly didn't feel anything, but it was possible the best chocolate cake I've had in ages!

The weather was gorgeous and we spent a lot of time out in the sun. I know it was only a four day trip to Amsterdam, but it's always nice to come back from a holiday with a little bit of a tan! The stress of the pedallo was far too much, but otherwise it was amazing to have such a relaxed trip. I've still got two more holidays to come, but life after love is proving that it's all about friends and very, very good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment