Sunday 10 April 2011

Gunfight at the O.K Corrale

I am grateful for many things in my life, including my amazing group of friends. Even now, they still know how to put a smile on my face, even after a really bad day. Due to the wonder that is a certain social networking site, they even know exactly who we might encounter on a night out!

I was planning on going to the pub with a couple of friends when it was brought to my attention that the ex and my replacement would also be in town that same night. This eventuality had to happen sooner or later and I was determined it wasn't going to affect me. It's been long enough now and I've got nothing to hide. A couple of hours before we went out however, I was updated by a friend that unfortuantely I wouldn't encounter my nemesis as she had other plans. I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed as it would have been nice to finally get this over and done with, but I also couldn't stop laughing. I mean, before the invention of Facebook, I didn't know nearly as much about people as I do now. Where they're going, what time, who they're with etc. It really is a stalker's paradise! Although, in this case I stand by the fact that the stalking was for a good cause!

We still bumped into the ex that night, which resulted in us actually having a really good chat. I'd had a fair amount of vodka already so was feeling pretty mellow by this point. If he did notice the New Guy sitting next to me, he didn't say anything. I hadn't spoken to him in a while so it was nice to catch up and find out how he's doing. I suprised myself however when I heard my voice asking how his new girlfriend was (and by her actual name too, which I rarely utter), which left him gobsmacked. He seemed momentarily taken aback and to be honest, I can't really blame him. In the past I haven't exactly been the nicest about her, yet here I was casually bringing her up in the conversation and not even so I could be rude about her!

For me, this was just another moment of realisation of just how far I've come. I'm genuinely not really bothered about either of them anymore. Sometimes it's still quite nice to have a heads up as to who's going to be around, but life after love is full of surprises and you just have to deal with them as they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment