Tuesday 7 December 2010

Let the Good Times Roll

There don't seem to be many areas of my life that haven't benefitted from my split with the ex. I've actually made good friends with some of my staff at work (bonding over the increasing stupidity of men worked a treat!) which I think - they may tell you different - has made me more relaxed and easy going. This goes round in turn and overally, everyone seems to work better!

As I've said before, I am surrounded by some pretty amazing people and I'm perplexed as to why I didn't see them so much before. I understand that spending quality time with your loved one is definately a priority, but if that comes at the cost of quality time with your friends, then you seriously need to rethink the situation! Ah, the beauty of hindsight. Honestly though, it's fun just to hang out, do random things and have a laugh. I like that I don't catch up with their social lives on facebook anymore, I get to be a part of it.

My bank balance isn't benefitting so much however. I've discovered that I need to spend an obscene amount of money in the hairdressers on a bi-monthly basis in order to maintain my new look. I say obscene but in reality it's probably not overly extravagent on some people's terms, but this is the person whose cut her own hair before, just to be a cheapskate. Those were not good days! I'm also enjoying the girly lunches, drinks down the pub, crazy nights out and uninhibited shopping. I don't have a wedding to pay for, so why not spend a little bit of money on the here and now?

There's one friend in particular who I definately get on with better than before. It was his newfound influence over me that found us surrounded by thousands of screaming teenage girls at Capital FM's Jingle Bell Ball. If he'd asked me six months ago - particularly after hearing the line up - I probably would have laughed in his face. I don't own a single song by any of the artists and couldn't even name you one anyway! But, in true 'yes man' fashion, I threw my sanity to the wind and spent four hours next to a girl who hadn't heard of deoderant. Despite the unfortunate location of our seats (we were right at the back as well) I had an awesome time. Turns out I did know most of the songs, I just had no idea that's who sung them. I even found myself competing with everyone else for the loudest scream whenever a boyband came on. I thought I might as well enjoy myself as I was there!

I feel bad in a way because I spend a fair amount of time saying how much better my life is now, that it makes my ex seem like a horrible, boring person. We had an amazing time together, don't get me wrong, but it's not until I look back now that I realise what a rut we were stuck in. I will never condone his behaviour at the end, but life after love is so much more and in true Hot Fuzz style, it was all for 'the greater good'.

1 comment: