Monday 7 February 2011

The sad, sad irony of it.

So my best friend has just started seeing this guy. It's only been about 2 weeks and it's all pretty new still. I meet up with her tonight and she's telling me about how well things are going and how great he is etc etc, but (and you know there's going to be a BUT) she can already feel herself falling into the same pattern. 'He texted me last, so it's my turn to reply, but do I actually have anything to say, or shall I just leave it for a bit longer?'..or...'is it too soon to see him again, I want to make time for my friends too.'

I felt mature and in control of my life as I calmly replied 'stop thinking about it. Just text him back whenever.' I then explained the basis that the new guy and myself are operating on (well, at least in my head anyway). Friends come first, so give them the pick of the days you're free and then give this guy the times they can't do. Sounds a bit rubbish for him, but essentially you're keeping everyone happy and it lessens the amount of days off you spend at home doing nothing - unless by choice of course.

My friend laughed along, seemed flattered (rightly so!) that I put her over some guy and made noises to the effect that she might start following a similar philosophy. I felt exhilerated. I had proved to myself that after a long term relationship, I could be relaxed and easy going. It's all about me after all!

As I subtely checked my phone for the billionth time, I resigned myself to the fact that someone had clearly not explained the rules to the new guy. I sent the last two texts but am still yet to hear back. It seems that life after love involves being a hypocrite and sadly, that's something I certainly can't argue with.

No comments:

Post a Comment