Friday 25 February 2011

Am I too old to be here?

I've happily managed to bypass the nightmare that is Valentine's Day. I got in early with the new guy and mentioned how much I detest that awful day. I mean, I hate it when I'm single and it would only be hypocritical if I my attitude towards it changed along with my circumstances. But, on my way to work, I noticed that seemingly every florist in the county seemed to be out delivering massive bouqets of flowers. I'm not one for pretentious bunches of flowers that have been purchased under recommendation from a total stranger, but a girl's allowed to change her mind, right? I'd been chatting to our projectionist at work and in response to the apparent whistful look on my face, he went to Sainsbury's and bought me a bunch of red roses. There was completely nothing in it, but it was possibly one of the sweetest gestures someone has made in a long time. Nothing like pity flowers from the wrong person on Valentine's Day!

As a birthday present, my best friend took me to a Burlesque dance class this week. We used whips, fans and even did a little striptease before learning this routine (do you remember the song from the Diet Coke ads?) Maybe it's the drama student in me that didn't mind being a bit of an exhibitionist in that class! We took the class in a different city, so we could have a crazy night out afterwards. We went to the first pub and were find for a while, until my friend thought it would be a great idea to accept a few free drinks off some guys at the bar. They came and sat at our table, despite the fact they were both pretty much old enough to be our dads. After a while of awful conversation and swift drinking in our attempt to get out of there quicker, we made our excuse of going to the loo. The barmaid was very helpful in pointing us towards a fire exit we could make our escape through and we literally ran to find a taxi.

We then headed to what has been described as the second worst nightclub in Britain. I bloody loved it! Think I cursed things with my last post, as the friend that was getting all loved up, isn't anymore. This meant that whilst she was dancing with this guy she'd met, I was feeling like a bit of a spare part. When it's only £2 for a double vodka and lemonade, you don't really think twice about drinking too quickly. At this point, there didn't seem to be much else for me to do other than drink, or dance by myself! Most of the burlesque moves were quite suggestive and with the new guy at home, I wasn't exactly on the pull. There was one amazing moment however, when I did one of the more subtle poses and it actually worked! The guy was lovely, but I think I ended up trying to set him up with his best (female) friend who was also really lovely. The sad tinge to the night however was realising that we were one of the oldest people in that club. At 24, I wouldn't say that I'm past it or even really that old, but the average age in there was 21. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it's still depressing nonetheless.

For a night that I don't really remember much of, I know it was fun. It's nice to get out of your comfort zone occasionally and do things that you wouldn't normally. If life after love involves more Burlesque dancing, then I'm definately going to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment