Wednesday 10 November 2010

Life is a Rollercoaster

The last girls holiday I had was about four years ago. My ex and I had been seeing each other for a couple of months and as I found myself relaxing with 3 friends by a pool in sunny Crete, all I could think about was him. I had a good holiday, don't get me wrong, but I remember vowing to myself once I was back home that if I wanted a really great holiday, I wouldn't go without him again. Skip forward a few years and I find myself alone and questioning why I found it so damned hard to go a whole day without hearing from him. I manage pretty well now, after all!

It was a random, flippant remark that a friend said to me in the pub (where else?!) that led a group of us to sample the delights of Blackpool for a weekend. It was nearly a month after my birthday, but I can be like the Queen and have two birthdays if I want, right?

We drank lots, took pictures of stupid things, went to the Pleasure Beach, went to a drag show, drank some more...and not once did I even get a hint of that old feeling of missing something. I know it's easy to say now, but why did I really go that long without weekend away with my mates? It's amazing going on holiday with your boyfriend - everything's fluffy and lovely and perfect, but sometimes it's fun just to let loose. 'Pub' was about the only direction I found myself giving the whole weekend. Nothing wrong with that!

The Pleasure Beach is a brilliant theme park which is full of some historical (they even have dated plaques by them so you know exactly how old the death trap you're riding on is!) and some newer rides. I realised as I stood in the queue for the Pepsi Max Big One that perhaps drinking a mixture of vodka, wine and cider hadn't been such a great idea the night before.

Just so you have an idea of how high this ride goes, it was the first thing we saw when we came into Blackpool - from the other end of the town! I've wimped out of rides before and done the walk of shame past the people behind in the queue and it's really embarassing. The 'obviously can't hack it' comment still haunts me to this day! My other option of escaping the embarassment of vomiting over myself on the ride was to wait until it was our turn before quickly running through the carriage and down the exit ramp. I found myself trying to work out if I was experiencing a 'Final Destination 3' moment. Am I getting a premonition that the cars are going to de-rail and we're all going to die?! Sadly no, I think that's my stomach wondering if it'll make the trip too.

I love my friends, but they did gang up on me and point out a major flaw in my 'yes man' theory if I didn't go through with the ride. I cursed them and called them some lovely names as we climbed to the top of the first peak - which coincidentally is also the tallest bit. There was a stunning view of the sea, but it only seemed to remind me that the further up we went, the further there was to fall. I filled my lungs with air and bellowed with all my might as we tipped over the edge and began our descent, but much to my amazement I found my screams turning to a 'whoop' of delight. This was fun (and vomit free in case you were wondering)!

I repeated this experience on most of the other rollercoasters that day and each one, made me realise that although it sounds incredibly corny (and not just quoting a Ronan Keating song), life kind of is like a rollercoaster. I didn't want to break up with the ex and desperately went through the options trying to find a way out, to no avail. I went through all kind of emotions and undoubtedly called him all kinds of names before breaching the crest and disappearing over the other side to what can only be described as a bloody brilliant time. I would even repeat the whole experience again!

I don't want this to reflect badly on him as I had an amazing time when we were together, but my priorities have changed now and it ultimately results in me having more fun! If he hadn't done what he did and we were still together, I can honestly say that this weekend would never have happened. In terms of girls (and boy) holidays, this was definately one of the best!

Life after love isn't just about saying 'yes' to everything, but about taking risks and wanting to try new things. I felt proud of myself as I stepped off the Big One. I haven't pushed my boundaries in a long time and although my comfort zone is a great place to be, I don't want to miss out on anything life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment